Aspirin, The Wonder Drug?

Aspirin, in one form or another, has been part of the pharmacopoeia (GREAT word! and I love using it) for relieving suffering for literally thousands of years. Detractors quip that if aspirin came up for FDA approval today, it would never make it out of the gate since it can produce a host of side effects.  Yet some of those self-same side effects also prove beneficial, and Rick and I discuss in PodMed this week and as seen on our YouTube, based on a study in NEJM.

Warfarin and Aspirin in Patients With Heart Failure and Sinus Rhythm followed over 2000 patients with heart failure for up to six years.   Use of these medications in people with heart failure is thought to reduce the risk that they'll form blood clots, an observed phenomenon in those with the condition. People eligible for the study had a left ventricular ejection fraction, the putative test for heart failure, of 35% or less, but they did have a normal heart rhythm and were able to take the study medications.  Outcome measures included strokes due to clot formation (ischemic stroke), bleeding inside the brain, or death from any cause.  The good news is that there was no real difference between the two medications, with a few minor caveats:  warfarin appeared to be better with regard to preventing ischemic stroke but worse with regard to major bleeding episodes. So why is this good news?

It's good news for the millions of people worldwide who currently have congestive heart failure, a number that is expected to rise dramatically, according to the World Health Organization.  That in itself is partially a success story as people are living long enough to develop the condition and we're much better at managing it once they do.  I would be remiss in not mentioning, however, that better management of cardiac risk factors in general and high blood pressure specifically would go a long way toward reducing this disease burden.

Managing congestive heart failure can require a number of medications, and when we examine aspirin versus warfarin we find a big disparity in price, with aspirin therapy costing very little.  There's also the need to monitor blood levels when warfarin is used, most often requiring people to travel to a clinic and have their level measured.  Warfarin is a really great example of Goldilocks medicine, where the level of the drug needs to be just right.  That's not the case with aspirin.  So aspirin works, it's much less expensive and doesn't require close monitoring.  That's a win domestically and internationally, where the healthcare infrastructure often isn't as robust.

Other topics this week include two studies on mammography from Annals, addressing who is most likely to benefit from earlier screening, management of type 2 diabetes in adolescents in NEJM,  and neonatal abstinence syndrome in newborns, in JAMA.  Until next week, y'all live well.

VN:F [1.9.17_1161]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
7 Comments

{ 1 trackback }

Aspirin Blood Pressure - Simple Site About Tips On Lower Cholesterol Diet - Lower Cholesterol Diet
July 6, 2012 at 5:31 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Comments

Oscar July 18, 2013 at 4:11 am

Because both are blood thinners as a side effcet and both can effcet the stomach, causing gastric bleeding and ulcers. BOTH these tablets are best taken WITH FOOD to avoid complications as much as possible.I wouldn't recommend taking aspirin and ibuprofen regularly but every now and then should be ok. As long as you have no bleeding, such as when you move your bowels and notice frank blood (new), dark blood or stomach pains.You should also ask your Doctor about this also as I don't know any of your medical history. For someone very healthy, it would not be a problem if not that often.

Power Diet April 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

I want to to thank уou fоr this eхcеllent read!

! I certainlу loveԁ everу little bit оf it.
ӏ've got you book marked to look at new things you post…

Here is my blog ... Power Diet

ares gratis March 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I think this is among the most important information for me.
And i am happy reading your article. But should observation on few common issues, The site style is great, the
articles is in reality great : D. Just right task, cheers

Steve in Florida February 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for providing this information! I have heard that there has been some dispute concerning the use of aspirin on a daily basis. Either way, I think that this has been on the minds of many more people over this month as it is American Health Month. This is a very important public health awareness month, especially given the number of people who are affected by cardiovascular disease in the United States. I certainly think that it is about time we start taking better care of our hearts, but it starts with more education and better awareness of how we can adapt more heart healthy habits in our everyday schedules.

Robert in DeLand April 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the link to that post! I also wrote a little about American Heart Month this year, and I certainly believe that this public health awareness event deserved a little more exposure. As far as the daily use of aspirin goes, I certainly think that there are a few points worth debating.

How To Naturally Lower Cholesterol October 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I гan aсroѕs уοur ωеb-ѕіte by using
a Googlе seaгch and Ӏ аm thanκful
I ԁid. For you definіtеly have some fantaѕtіс аdvice herе thаt is
useful аnd invaluable. I havе booκmarkеd youг web-раge for later refеrеnce.